Employers take note:  A California appellate recently court ruled that Private Attorneys General Act (“PAGA”) claims by employees against employers for wage & hour and other claims survive the employer’s (and by implication, the employer’s responsible individual’s) bankruptcy – they are not discharged and must be paid, even after the bankruptcy.  PAGA permits aggrieved employees to file a representative action (like a class action) to recover civil penalties for Labor Code violations.  The penalties against employers can add up to tons of money.  Tons.

Of the sums adjudged due, statutes say that the sums are allocated 75% to the California Labor and Workforce Development Agency (“LWDA”) to be used for “enforcement of labor laws” and “education of employers and employees about their rights and responsibilities,” and 25% to the represented employees.  Because the amounts payable to the LWDA qualify as penalties “payable to and for the benefit of a governmental unit,” the bankruptcy court found that the PAGA sums to LWDA are nondischargeable in bankruptcy under a specific bankruptcy statute:  11 U.S.C. § 523(a)(7).  So, while the 25% payment to employees and statutory attorneys fees for prosecuting the PAGA claims may be discharged through a bankruptcy, the remaining 75% of the award must be paid, even after the employer company and/or responsible individual emerges from bankruptcy. The case is: In re Patacsil.

Epps & Coulson, LLP’s legal areas of practice includes not just employment law, but bankruptcy as well.  EC has represented clients of all business types.  We are committed to helping our clients navigate the complex business and legal landscape and to keep up with what’s going on in these core areas.  We are here to help you plan and grow and protect your business and rights.  Please feel free to contact Dawn at: dcoulson@eppscoulson.com for any questions.

Information contained in this Memo is intended for informational and educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or opinion, nor is it a substitute for the professional judgment of an attorney.  It is likely considered advertising.  Epps & Coulson, LLP encourages you to call to discuss these matters as they apply to you or your business.  Epps & Coulson, LLP has affiliated Counsel offices in New York and Connecticut with lawyers also admitted in Connecticut, District of Columbia Massachusetts (pending), New Jersey, Hawaii, European Union, England and Whales, France (Paris Bar) and Sweden.

Attorneys admitted to practice in California, New York, Colorado, Texas, and Oregon